ENGINEERING MANAGER AT EDUCATION STARTUP
Remote|South Bay Area|San Francisco, CA|New York, New York|Pittsburgh, PA|Seattle, WA|Los Angeles|Boston, MA|Raleigh, NC|Austin, TX|Dallas, TX|Denver, Colorado|Baltimore, Maryland|Mountain View, CA|Palo Alto, CA|Washington D.C.|Santa Monica, CA|Culver City, CA|Miami, FL|Portland, OR|Chicago, IL|Princeton, NJ|Cambridge, MA|Stanford, CA|Ithaca, NY|Ann Arbor, MI|Philadelphia, PA|Madison, WI|Hanover, Maryland|Atlanta, GA|Columbus, OH|Evanston, IL|West Lafayette, IN|New Haven, CT|Durham, NC|Bloomington, IN|Nashville, TN|San Diego, CA|Venice Beach, CA|Charlotte, NC|Huntsville, Alabama|Boulder, CO|Colorado Springs, CO|Trenton, NJ|Minneapolis, MN|Pleasanton, CA|Oakland, CA|Albuquerque, NM|Bozeman, MT|Cincinnati, OH|Clearwater, FL|Cupertino, CA|Detroit, MI|El Segundo, CA|Fairfield, CT|Hartford, CT|Honolulu, HI|Irving, TX|Salt Lake City, UT|Provo, Utah|Milwaukee, WI|Tucson, AZ|San Bruno, CA|Kennewick, WA|San Antonio, Texas|Wichita, Kansas|Omaha, Nebraska|Rochester, New York|Elk Grove, California|Hilliard, Ohio|Mira Mesa, California|Overland Park, Kansas|Colorado Springs, Colorado|Castro Valley, California|Littleton, Colorado|Medford, Massachusetts|Kentwood, Michigan|Livonia, Michigan|Watauga, Texas|Boston, Massachusetts|Brooklyn, NY|NYC - 2|Chicago - Loop|Cicero, Illinois|Lakeview, Illinois|Santa Barbara, CA|Waltham, MA|Frisco, TX|Santa Clara, CA|Sunnyvale, CA|Menlo Park, CA|Redwood City, CA|San Carlos, CA|Chevy Chase, DC|Bethesda, DC|Germantown, DC|Queen Anne, WA|Plymouth, Michigan|Brisbane, CA|Carmel Valley, CA|Canada - Vancouver|Berkeley, CA|Fremont, CA|Hoboken, NY|Jersey City, NY|Los Altos, CA|Burlingame, CA|Mill Valley, CA|South San Francisco, CA|Milpitas, CA|Cleveland, OH|Fort Worth, TX|Memphis, TN|San Jose, CA|Saratoga, CA, Full time
Who is Recruiting from Scratch:
Recruiting from Scratch is a premier talent firm that focuses on placing the best product managers, software, and hardware talent at innovative companies. Our team is 100% remote and we work with teams across the United States to help them hire. We work with companies funded by the best investors including Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Ventures, Tiger Global Management, A16Z, Accel, DFJ, and more.
If you are a fit, the team will reach out to you about this role or any others that may be a fit for our clients.
A pioneer in K–12 education since 2000, our client is leading the way in next-generation curriculum and assessment. Their captivating core and supplemental programs in ELA, math, and science engages all students in rigorous learning and inspires them to think deeply, creatively, and for themselves. Their formative assessment products turn data into practical instructional support to help students at every skill level build a strong foundation in early reading and math. Their programs provide teachers with powerful tools that help them understand and respond to the needs of all their students. Today, our client serves five million students in all 50 states.
Our client is a leader in creating immersive, rigorous digital learning experiences that look great, play great, and help students expect great things of themselves. Our client has been described as the best tech company in education, and the best education company in tech.
They are looking for a talented and passionate Engineering Manager to be a leader within a technology team where every engineer is responsible for the quality of their product and the happiness of their students and teachers. You’ll play an active role in imagining and improving product design and the classroom experience.
Responsibilities of the Engineering Manager:
- Technical Leadership: Collaboratively guide your team to be innovative and select appropriate architectures, strategies, and tech stacks. React is their chosen framework but there are many options to explore within it.
- Technical Guidance: Foster strong technical practices (code review, architectural planning, security by design) within your team and across multiple teams.
- Execution: Work with product leads to ensure your team has a high-value, high-velocity, and responsive product development lifecycle.
- Delivery: Take responsibility for successful delivery against quarterly OKRs, including leading your team in establishing best practices in estimation, requirements analysis, balancing trade offs, and executing against commitments.
- Communication and Collaboration: Work with Senior technical management, direct reports, offshore resources, Product Owners, Designers and QA to ensure smooth working relationships.
- Strategy: Collaborate with business, product, design and tech leadership to drive business, product, and technical strategy and goals for your team.
- People management: Provide technical leadership, career development, coaching, and mentoring for engineers.
Example Projects You Might Work On:
- Crafting immersive, compelling and equitable experiences for teachers and students that run great across platforms under variable memory and network constraints.
- Implementing logic that handles student work: from persistence to selecting the right activity for the right student at the right moment.
- Optimizing software so that it can handle millions of kids with stability and security in mind, thus making life better for passionate teachers.
- Ensuring existing software continues to function well by monitoring apps to make sure they are available to teachers and classrooms.
- Improving our workflows and tooling in order to frequently and confidently ship new features and functionality to classrooms.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent technical experience demonstrating strong CS fundamentals.
- At least 3 years tech industry experience.
- 2+ years designing and building quality internet applications that scale and perform well.
- Proven track record managing delivery of complex projects.
- Experience leading, coaching and developing highly effective teams of technology professionals.
- Proven track record building testing culture and practices.
- Familiarity with agile product development methodologies.
Extra Credit For:
- Front-end frameworks: Angular or the next thing that will replace them all.
- Back-end frameworks: Node, Express, Java, Dropwizard.
- Tools and systems: Linux, Jenkins, Docker, DataDog, AWS.
- Data stores: SQL databases (e.g. Postgresql), S3.
- Experience in AWS toolchains and devops.
- Proven passion for building and learning: open source contributions, pet projects, self-education, Stack Overflow.
- Experience in education or ed-tech.
Benefits: PTO, Healthcare, and more!
Base Salary Range: $150,000-200,000