HEAD OF ENGINEERING AT GAMING STARTUP (ANIME THEMED)
Remote|South Bay Area|San Francisco, CA|New York, New York|Pittsburgh, PA|Seattle, WA|Los Angeles|Boston, MA|Raleigh, NC|Austin, TX|Dallas, TX|Denver, Colorado|Baltimore, Maryland|Mountain View, CA|Palo Alto, CA|Washington D.C.|Santa Monica, CA|Culver City, CA|Miami, FL|Portland, OR|Chicago, IL|Princeton, NJ|Cambridge, MA|Stanford, CA|Ithaca, NY|Ann Arbor, MI|Philadelphia, PA|Madison, WI|Hanover, Maryland|Atlanta, GA|Columbus, OH|Evanston, IL|West Lafayette, IN|New Haven, CT|Durham, NC|Bloomington, IN|Nashville, TN|San Diego, CA|Venice Beach, CA|Charlotte, NC|Huntsville, Alabama|Boulder, CO|Colorado Springs, CO|Trenton, NJ|Minneapolis, MN|Pleasanton, CA|Oakland, CA|Albuquerque, NM|Bozeman, MT|Cincinnati, OH|Clearwater, FL|Cupertino, CA|Detroit, MI|El Segundo, CA|Fairfield, CT|Hartford, CT|Honolulu, HI|Irving, TX|Salt Lake City, UT|Provo, Utah|Milwaukee, WI|Tucson, AZ|San Bruno, CA|Kennewick, WA|San Antonio, Texas|Wichita, Kansas|Omaha, Nebraska|Rochester, New York|Elk Grove, California|Hilliard, Ohio|Mira Mesa, California|Overland Park, Kansas|Colorado Springs, Colorado|Castro Valley, California|Littleton, Colorado|Medford, Massachusetts|Kentwood, Michigan|Livonia, Michigan|Watauga, Texas|Boston, Massachusetts|Brooklyn, NY|NYC - 2|Chicago - Loop|Cicero, Illinois|Lakeview, Illinois|Santa Barbara, CA|Waltham, MA|Frisco, TX|Santa Clara, CA|Sunnyvale, CA|Menlo Park, CA|Redwood City, CA|San Carlos, CA|Chevy Chase, DC|Bethesda, DC|Germantown, DC|Queen Anne, WA|Plymouth, Michigan|Brisbane, CA|Carmel Valley, CA
Who is Recruiting from Scratch:
Recruiting from Scratch is a premier talent firm that focuses on placing the best product managers, software, and hardware talent at innovative companies. Our team is 100% remote and we work with teams across the United States to help them hire. We work with companies funded by the best investors including Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Ventures, Tiger Global Management, A16Z, Accel, DFJ, and more.
About Our Client
Our client is a gaming startup building an Anime-themed massively multiplayer dungeon building RPG game, blending the best qualities of top-notch action games, role-playing games, and game creation tools into one beautiful social experience. They have raised over $17.5M in seed and Series A funding from a16z GPs. Our client is currently seeing an explosion of interest in Anime in the US: Attack on Titan, Genshin Impact, League of Legends (Battle Academia skins) are early indicators of a greater long-term trend. As Anime fans themselves, they are incredibly excited to be building a 2.5D multiplayer world with an Anime-inspired theme, where players can make their own islands and games (starting with dungeons!) within a single shared world, and add custom art and stories to their creations.
As the Head of Engineering, you will be tasked with leading and managing the engineering team. You’ll work directly with the technical CEO and core leadership team to develop the engineering roadmap and strategy as well as shape the direction of the wondrous and dream-like social and creative experience they are building for their players.
- Develop our engineering roadmap and strategy alongside our core leadership team
- Own technical design and drive implementation, making trade-offs as you work to ensure that our systems are scalable
- Manage and mentor our engineering team, applying your expertise to guide the team through difficult engineering challenges.
- As necessary, write code alongside your team to develop context, support your team’s education, and ship key product features
- Champion best practices and technical excellence across techniques, processes, smart tooling, etc. to minimize technical debt and improve developer productivity
- Finish your mission and tasks with autonomy and be scrappy if necessary
- 7+ years of experience in an engineering role and 3+ years of experience in a lead / manager role
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Strong proficiency in programming, software patterns, principles, and architecture
- Supplemental skills key for game development: math, creativity, UX intuition, experience with any game engines, etc.
- Experience leading, mentoring, and guiding an engineering team
Nice to haves
- Familiarity with working with distributed systems and cloud infrastructure
- Familiarity with modern programming languages such as Go, Python, Java, C++, etc
- Familiarity with modern database technologies such as PostgreSQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience or willingness to learn modern game engines (Unity, Godot)
- Experience working on large scale live service products, particularly games
- Love of games, especially sandbox games like Minecraft, MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, and 2D isometric games like Dofus, Hades, and Tree of Savior
- Unlimited paid time off with 2-week vacation minimum
- 100% employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for the employee
- Competitive tech industry pay
- Flexible and remote work culture
Base Salary: $130,000 to $220,000
Must be based in or willing to relocate to NYC