SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (REACT, JS) AT EDUCATION STARTUP
Remote|South Bay Area|San Francisco, CA|New York, New York|Pittsburgh, PA|Seattle, WA|Los Angeles|Boston, MA|Raleigh, NC|Austin, TX|Dallas, TX|Denver, Colorado|Baltimore, Maryland|Mountain View, CA|Palo Alto, CA|Washington D.C.|Santa Monica, CA|Culver City, CA|Miami, FL|Portland, OR|Chicago, IL|Princeton, NJ|Cambridge, MA|Stanford, CA|Ithaca, NY|Ann Arbor, MI|Philadelphia, PA|Madison, WI|Hanover, Maryland|Atlanta, GA|Columbus, OH|Evanston, IL|West Lafayette, IN|New Haven, CT|Durham, NC|Bloomington, IN|Nashville, TN|San Diego, CA|Venice Beach, CA|Charlotte, NC|Huntsville, Alabama|Boulder, CO|Colorado Springs, CO|Trenton, NJ|Minneapolis, MN|Pleasanton, CA|Oakland, CA|Albuquerque, NM|Bozeman, MT|Cincinnati, OH|Clearwater, FL|Cupertino, CA|Detroit, MI|El Segundo, CA|Fairfield, CT|Hartford, CT|Honolulu, HI|Irving, TX|Salt Lake City, UT|Provo, Utah|Milwaukee, WI|Tucson, AZ|San Bruno, CA|Kennewick, WA|San Antonio, Texas|Wichita, Kansas|Omaha, Nebraska|Rochester, New York|Elk Grove, California|Hilliard, Ohio|Mira Mesa, California|Overland Park, Kansas|Colorado Springs, Colorado|Castro Valley, California|Littleton, Colorado|Medford, Massachusetts|Kentwood, Michigan|Livonia, Michigan|Watauga, Texas|Boston, Massachusetts|Brooklyn, NY|NYC - 2|Chicago - Loop|Cicero, Illinois|Lakeview, Illinois|Santa Barbara, CA|Waltham, MA|Frisco, TX|Santa Clara, CA|Sunnyvale, CA|Menlo Park, CA|Redwood City, CA|San Carlos, CA|Chevy Chase, DC|Bethesda, DC|Germantown, DC|Queen Anne, WA|Plymouth, Michigan|Brisbane, CA|Carmel Valley, CA|Berkeley, CA|Fremont, CA|Hoboken, NY|Jersey City, NY|Los Altos, CA|Burlingame, CA|Mill Valley, CA|South San Francisco, CA|Milpitas, CA|Cleveland, OH|Fort Worth, TX|Memphis, TN|San Jose, CA|Saratoga, CA, Full time
Who is Recruiting from Scratch:
Recruiting from Scratch is a premier talent firm that focuses on placing the best product managers, software, and hardware talent at innovative companies. Our team is 100% remote and we work with teams across the United States to help them hire. We work with companies funded by the best investors including Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Ventures, Tiger Global Management, A16Z, Accel, DFJ, and more.
If you are a fit, the team will reach out to you about this role or any others that may be a fit for our clients.
A pioneer in K–12 education since 2000, our client is leading the way in next-generation curriculum and assessment. Their captivating core and supplemental programs in ELA, math, and science engages all students in rigorous learning and inspires them to think deeply, creatively, and for themselves. Their formative assessment products turn data into practical instructional support to help students at every skill level build a strong foundation in early reading and math. Their programs provide teachers with powerful tools that help them understand and respond to the needs of all their students. Today, our client serves five million students in all 50 states.
Our client is a leader in creating immersive, rigorous digital learning experiences that look great, play great, and help students expect great things of themselves. Our client has been described as the best tech company in education, and the best education company in tech.
About the Role
As an engineer, you will join a talented team tackling the toughest problems in education with the best ideas in technology – including user experience, APIs and services, data analysis, and deployment pipelines. You’ll play an active role in imagining and improving product design and the classroom experience.
What You’ll Do:
- Make life better for passionate teachers by:
- meeting the ultimate reliability and uptime challenge for digital tools – is this better than paper?
- building well structured and documented RESTful APIs so that our apps can share data with ease
- shipping code from your laptop to classrooms frequently and confidently
- Help school administrators build great schools by:
- building data pipelines that respect privacy and ensure security while offering useful insights
- implementing code that runs great across platforms under variable memory and network constraints
- analyzing performance and squashing tricky bugs using tools like Datadog, Alert Logic, and AWS CloudWatch
- collaborating, pull request-ing, and mentoring on a cross-functional team
- participating in cross-team share-outs, brownbags, and workshop series
Example Projects You Might Work On:
- Architecting algorithms to select the right activity for the right student at the right moment.
- Crunching data from student activities to show teachers just the right advice
- Simulating hundreds of thousands of kids to implement scaling, stability, and security improvements
- Improving our deployment and testing automation pipelines
You Must Have:
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum of 4 years of professional software development experience
- Strong CS and software engineering fundamentals
- Proven fluency in at least two of React, NodeJS, Angular, SQL
- Strong communication skills in writing, conversation
Extra Credit For:
- MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with tools they use every day:
- Front-end frameworks: Angular, React, the next thing that will replace them all
- Back-end frameworks: Nodejs Express, Java Dropwizard
- Tools and systems: Linux, Jenkins, Docker, AWS, Datadog
- Data stores: Postgres, DynamoDB, S3
- Proven passion for building and learning: open source contributions, pet projects, self-education, Stack Overflow
- Experience in education or ed-tech
Benefits: PTO, Healthcare, and more!
Base Salary Range: $110,000-140,000