SOFTWARE ENGINEERING DIRECTOR (EARLY STAGE STARTUP)
Remote|South Bay Area|San Francisco, CA|New York, New York|Pittsburgh, PA|Seattle, WA|Boston, MA|Raleigh, NC|Austin, TX|Dallas, TX|Denver, Colorado|Baltimore, Maryland|Mountain View, CA|Washington D.C.|Santa Monica, CA|Culver City, CA|Miami, FL|Portland, OR|Chicago, IL|Princeton, NJ|Cambridge, MA|Stanford, CA|Ann Arbor, MI|Philadelphia, PA|Madison, WI|Hanover, Maryland|Atlanta, GA|Columbus, OH|Evanston, IL|West Lafayette, IN|New Haven, CT|Durham, NC|Bloomington, IN|San Diego, CA|Charlotte, NC|Huntsville, Alabama|Boulder, CO|Colorado Springs, CO|Trenton, NJ|Minneapolis, MN|Oakland, CA|Albuquerque, NM|Bozeman, MT|Cincinnati, OH|Clearwater, FL|Cupertino, CA|Detroit, MI|El Segundo, CA|Fairfield, CT|Honolulu, HI|Irving, TX|Salt Lake City, UT|San Antonio, Texas|Rochester, New York|Elk Grove, California|Overland Park, Kansas|Colorado Springs, Colorado|Kentwood, Michigan|Livonia, Michigan|Boston, Massachusetts|Brooklyn, NY|Chicago - Loop|Cicero, Illinois|Santa Barbara, CA|Frisco, TX|Redwood City, CA|San Carlos, CA|Chevy Chase, DC|Queen Anne, WA|Plymouth, Michigan|Brisbane, CA|Carmel Valley, CA|Canada - Vancouver|Canada - Toronto|Canada - Edmonton|Canada - Ottawa|Canada - Victoria|Berkeley, CA|Hoboken, NY|Jersey City, NY|Los Altos, CA|Milpitas, CA|Fort Worth, TX|Memphis, TN|Daly City, CA|San Rafael, CA|Emeryville, CA|Albany, CA|Antioch, CA|Union City, CA|Pacifica, CA|Concord, CA|Concordia, CA|Hayward, CA|Foster City|Dublin, CA|Newark, NJ|Andover, MA|Torrance|Las Vegas, NV, Full time
Who is Recruiting from Scratch:
Recruiting from Scratch is a premier talent firm that focuses on placing the best product managers, software, and hardware talent at innovative companies. Our team is 100% remote and we work with teams across the United States to help them hire. We work with companies funded by the best investors including Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Ventures, Tiger Global Management, A16Z, Accel, DFJ, and more.
About our Client
Our client is a no-code SaaS tool that enables business teams to access their company data in real-time—and to build power automation on top of this data—directly from their spreadsheets. Whether their data lives in cloud applications, databases, data warehouses, or BI frontends, users can connect their source systems to our client's product without IT involvement and instantly become orders of magnitude more productive and self-reliant when working with data.
Spreadsheets are the most widely used analytic software and is the mainstay of business users across companies of all sizes. Our client's product combines the power and flexibility of spreadsheets with real-time querying and bi-directional sync capabilities on top of company data systems, empowering the 1 billion spreadsheet users worldwide to automate their workflows using the tool they already know and love.
Our client is a VC-backed startup in the SF Bay Area. The team is remote-first, allowing talent from any location. The founders are serial entrepreneurs whose last startup, Shopular, was backed by Y Combinator and Sequoia and acquired by Rakuten Ebates.
About the Role
Our client is looking for an Engineering Director to lead their engineering efforts and to help them shape and deliver on their vision. You will wear multiple hats: engineering management, recruiting, hands-on coding and technical architecture.
- Work closely with all of our client's leaders across the company to define and drive a roadmap of priorities for Engineering
- Lead technical design sessions and make decisions that strike the right balance between technical robustness, flexibility, product quality, security considerations, and project timelines
- Be responsible for the entire development life cycle of all engineering projects
- Coordinate collaboration and hand-offs between Product, Design, Engineering and QA
- Own the design and implementation of key system components and product features
- Implement robust guidelines and processes for software development, code reviews, continuous integration, testing and deployment to ensure high code quality and system stability
- Identify and remediate any roadblocks that prevent Engineering team members from doing their best work
- Recruit, onboard, and mentor talented engineers
You may be a good fit if…
- You have 10+ years experience working in high-caliber software engineering organizations
- You have 5+ years engineering management experience
- You have grown and managed talented engineering teams, and have mentored your team members to become the best versions of themselves
- You enjoy designing and implementing robust, scalable, and easily extensible backend systems that shun extraneous incidental complexity
- You take pride in technical excellence, code quality, production system stability, and engineering accountability, and enjoy mentoring your engineering team members to adopt and internalize these core values
- You have extensive experience building and maintaining backend systems developed primarily in Python or a similar programming language
- You have experience architecting and operating robust, scalable, and secure cloud infrastructure
- You relish the challenge of designing high-throughput data pipelines to support interactive, real-time use cases
- You are thoughtful about software development best practices and care deeply about code quality, clean abstractions and interfaces, and processes (automated and otherwise) that enable an engineering team to ship quickly without breaking things
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Since our client is a remote team, good documentation and written record are critical.
- You are passionate about joining an early-stage startup, growing a team from 10 to 100 (and beyond), and playing a key role in shaping the company's long-term vision
- Bonus: You have worked at a startup (or started your own) and have managed engineering teams that ship product at startup pace
Our client is building a remote-only team and looking for candidates from US time zones or anywhere in India. Having worked remotely in the past is a plus.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing startup, to lead and grow a team of amazingly talented engineers, and to shape the future of our product and company. Our client is just getting started on their journey to create a new breed of data software that will forever change the way business teams work with data.
Benefits: Competitive PTO, Health Benefits, and Good Vibes
Base Salary Range: $200,000 to $250,000