What does a VP of Product do?
A VP of Product leads the product development process at a company. They are responsible for managing the product roadmap, identifying new product opportunities, and working closely with cross-functional teams to ensure product success. Typically, a VP of Product oversees a product development team, guiding them through the product development process and ensuring they meet their goals and deadlines.
What is the typical background of a VP of Product?
A VP of Product typically has a bachelor's or master's degree in business administration, marketing, or a related field. They also usually have 10-15 years experience in product management, with at least some of those years spent in a leadership or management role.
What are some of the typical responsibilities of a VP of Product?
Typical responsibilities of a VP of Product often include:
- Developing and managing the product roadmap
- Identifying new product opportunities and evaluating their potential
- Leading cross-functional teams to ensure product success
- Overseeing the product development process, from ideation to launch
- Ensuring that products meet customer needs and are competitive in the market
- Managing the product development team and ensuring that they meet their goals and deadlines
- Analyzing product performance and making strategic recommendations for improvement
What are some of the skills a successful VP of Product should have?
Skills to look for in a strong VP of Product candidate include:
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- A deep understanding of customer needs and market trends
- Experience with product development processes and methodologies
- The ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- A strategic mindset and the ability to make data-driven decisions
- The ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- A passion for innovation and a commitment to excellence
What's the difference between a VP of Product and a Head of Product?
The roles of a Head of Product and a VP of Product are both senior roles, but may differ in terms of their scope, level of authority, and responsibilities within an organization (depending on the size of the organization).